Energy, Sustainability and Society (Springer)
“PROSUMER PARADIGM – managing the global energy transition and market obstacles through improved stakeholder collaboration”
Distribution system operators (DSOs) are facing new actors and market players in the energy transition to enable the optimizing of field resources and ameliorated communications as a solution for increasing grid reliability. Demanding consumer expectations in a more competitive energy marketplace have led to a wide-scale focus on storage and flexibility management with successful pilots having proved the cost-benefit problem.
With the development of our society, the demand for energy, in particular electricity, is ever-increasing. To be able to produce electricity when the renewable sources are available and to use electricity when we need it, improved energy storage solutions are needed. A key challenge is to demonstrate and evaluate innovative approaches for thermal and electrical energy storage systems and to find affordable and reliable solutions that lead to an increased electricity self-supply [STORY project].
To keep pace with the demands of the modernizing industry, utilities and energy companies are streamlining services and resources through digital management platforms can increase productivity and reduce operational expenditure. There is a monumental need to balance mission readiness with the availability of equipment against budget or policy constraints. Specific topical keywords of particular interest for this special issue include but are not limited to:
- Buildings, facilities, and home energy management;
- Construction project & urban habitat management;
- Big data privacy & grid (cyber)security management;
- Decarbonization initiatives & nature-based solutions;
- Demand side response tools & ICT in peak shaving;
- Distributed renewables generation & load balancing
- Electricity grid reliability & congestion management
- Flexibility commoditization & energy governance
- Stakeholder requirements & user acceptance studies
- Battery storage of renewable energies management
- Social housing amelioration & energy communities, etc.