"Building Envelopes Kits for Deep Renovation" workshop
15:30 - 18:30, 29th September 2021, hybrid
This 180-minute workshop entitled “Modularity and Industrialisation of Building envelope kits: Challenges, propositions and Barriers towards deep-renovation” will elaborate a conceptual framework to assess the preconditions and KPIs that need to be met to benefit from a modular product strategy in the deep-renovation market to which industrialization and modularity are relative new concepts. Five H2020 projects (DRIVE 0, STEP UP, ProGETonE, INFINITE, PLURAL, and ENSNARE) will explore these new strategies for deep renovation as a contribution to the EU Renovation Wave.
In order to reap the benefits of applying industrialization of renovation kits and modular innovations in the deep-renovation market, certain preconditions are required. Towards further energy efficiency and decarbonisation of the EU building stock, Modularity and Industrialisation of building envelope kits (Industry 4.0) for the renovation market are key strategies to improve both production and resource efficiency in constructing and retrofitting housing (Ellen MacArthur Foundation, 2015). Modularity in itself is a concept that is observed as a major beneficiary in numerous industries, but relative new to the deep-renovation market. This workshop will map and identify the specific challenges of these projects, discuss the proposed solutions and propositions and identify the barriers that these projects engage in further exploitation and market uptake.
- During the first part of the workshop a ‘MIRO board’ will be used to discuss the various challenges and propositions (> two key challenges per project) will be introduced to identify projects common barriers. These propositions embody the preliminary findings of ongoing research projects and reflect the preconditions which need to be met applying there solutions in the deep-renovation market.
- During the second part it will be discussed how the identified ‘adoption and market barriers’ need to be overcome to meet the identified preconditions to successfully introduce industrialized modular product systems in deep-renovation projects.
This workshop will present a conceptual framework to assess the preconditions and KPI’s that need to be met to benefit from a modular product strategy and industrialization. Subsequently, as a key finding of the first stage of this workshop these preconditions will be found. As an intended outcome, the workshop aims to further explore the application of industrialization and modularity, in particular the preconditions which need to be met to apply modular products systems, as a strategy to boost deep-renovation in both quantity and quality.
Expected collaborative outcomes: A framework analysis to be used to prepare a white paper on:
- Overview of the Multipurpose and Multi-benefits of Modularity and Industrialization of building envelope renovation kits.
- Boundary conditions and key factors important for market uptake
- Adoption barriers and proposed strategies to overcome these identified barriers to be presented to CINEA.
Welcome & programme introduction
Introduction to the projects
Each project 5 min pitch, focusing on two key challenges
Working session – Part 1:
Boundary conditions & key factors important for uptake of developed project solutions
Using interactive tool a session will be facilitated to identify and address various preconditions and key factors which need to be met ensuring the uptake of industrialized modular/ prefab/ plug and play solutions in the deep-renovation market
Working session – Part 2:
Adoption and market barriers & proposed strategies to overcome these identified barriers
Discussion around the ‘adoption and market barriers’ that need to be overcome to meet the identified preconditions to successfully introduce modular product systems in deep-renovation projects.
How can relevant policy frameworks influence our projects outcomes market opportunities?
Final remarks & Conclusions
Interactive wrap-up with voting on questions and theses, using Sli.do