In the framework of the project, the first step towards the optimization of the overall building design process has corresponded to the definition of a “full life-cycle aware” novel design methodology. The developed methodology is based on:
- Collaborative and integrated approach in order to involve in the decision-making process all the strategic stakeholders, increasing the harmonization among the design of the different building design components
- BIM (Building Information Model) use since the early design stages as a common basis on which rely on in order not to miss or duplicate information over the whole project implementation
- A performance-based approach so that to emphasize the setting of project targets as functional targets of end product (building) and evaluate the fulfillment of these targets during design, construction and operation (CIB, 1982). This approach enable to take into consideration and integrate acoustic comfort, visual comfort, indoor air quality, thermal comfort and energy efficiency
- The use of multi-criteria design tools (in the framework of a BIM-based collaborative software platform) able to process information at different level of detail and to implement simulations on the basis of a building information model whose level of development is varying over the project development (i.e. benchmark tool at early design stages, simulation tools/calculation engines from concept design phase)
- The definition of a performance evaluation framework in terms of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) both at building and neighborhood scale.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/U2RboDJDxHc” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>